If you have some pancake mix and fresh blueberries on hand, you’re in for a treat! You won’t believe how simple it is to bake this amazing blueberry cake doughnut recipe at home!
What’s your favorite doughnut flavor?
Hands down…Blueberry Cake Doughnuts rank at the top my list of most favorite doughnuts. Runners up include Pumpkin Spice, Old Fashioned Sour Cream and regular old Glazed, but blueberry is my fave.
While I was making homemade glazed doughnuts yesterday, I decided to add in some lemon and blueberries to the leftover batter and see what happened. The results were fan-friggin-tastic. Today I’m sharing my homemade lemon blueberry cake doughnut recipe with you!
This recipe uses pancake mix for the base. I always have pancake mix on hand, and with a few added ingredients you can make almost any kind of baked good!
Add in a few drops of lemon and it takes them over the top of delicious! I used Young Living Lemon Vitality essential oil because I know it’s safe to ingest.
If you’re unsure about the quality of your lemon oil, stay safe and just stick with lemon extract instead.
If you can’t get doughnuts off your mind and want to make some homemade blueberry cake doughnuts, here is a simple and easy recipe for ya!
Get the Recipe:
Homemade Lemon Blueberry Cake Doughnuts
- Wilton Doughnut Pan
- 2 cups pancake mix I used Krusteaz Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk or buttermilk if you have it on hand
- 1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt I used Greek Vanilla Yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring I used Watkins Vanilla Extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract (I used 8 drops Lemon Young Living Vitality Essential Oil)
- 1/2 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- cooking spray
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4-5 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients–pancake mix, flour and sugar. Mix well and set aside.
- In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer or a separate large bowl, mix all the wet ingredients–eggs, oil, milk, sour cream, and flavoring.
- Using a mixer, slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet until a stiff batter is formed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to incorporate all the flour. Do not overmix.
- Slowly fold in the blueberries using a rubber spatula until they are all incorporated in the batter.
- Spray the doughnut pans with cooking spray, then spoon the batter into each ring. You can also use a piping bag if the spoon is too messy.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until they are light golden brown.
- Repeat until all batter is used.
- Remove doughnuts from pan to a cooling rack. While they cool, make the glaze.
For the Glaze:
- Stir together powdered sugar and 3 tablespoons of milk in a bowl. Keep stirring until it all comes together. Add 1 tablespoon of milk at a time until it is pourable but still thick.
- When doughnuts are cooled completely, dip them in the glaze and put them back on the cooling rack with a cookie sheet underneath to catch the drips.
- Serve when the glaze has set. Enjoy!!
Shop for this recipe:
Don’t forget to PIN IT for later!
Teacher Appreciation Week is upon us!
Thank a teacher by delivering some doughnuts to their doorstep along with this FREE PRINTABLE THANK YOU CARD.