White Wedding Cake is my most favorite cake flavor, so one day I set out to find the best (and cheapest) way to make this cake myself. I discovered this recipe for White Almond Sour Cream Cake using a box of white cake mix and it was the most perfectly moist white cake I had ever baked at home.
White Caramel Wedding Cake with Caramel IcingJump to Recipe
Then I stumbled upon Watkins Caramel Extract and took it to a whole new level of deliciousness for the icing. This caramel extract will make your guest moan with pleasure and then saying “What IS that amazing flavor??” They think it’s vanilla but they cannot quite put their finger on caramel since it’s a white cake. I love it when I fool people with flavor.
Here is my version of the White CARAMEL Sour Cream Cake with Caramel icing, AKA Your New Favorite Homemade Cake Recipe.
This cake is made using an .85 cent box of white cake mix from Aldi (no joke), along with a few other pantry ingredients, which not only means it tastes amazing but it’s also a fraction of the cost of a cake you’d buy from the bakery. That means you can double it, triple it, quadruple it… and bake a ginormous wedding cake for under $10 bucks.
Can you see how dense that cake is? It’s as good or BETTER than any wedding cake I’ve ever eaten, and since it’s just a doctored cake mix, it’s super easy to make! Here is the recipe and instructions on how to make your new favorite cake:
Get the Caramel Cake Recipe Here:
White Caramel Wedding Cake with Caramel Icing
WHITE CARAMEL CAKE RECIPE
- 1 box White Cake Mix I used Aldi brand
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 oz sour cream
- 3 eggs (use egg whites only if you want a whiter cake)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp Watkins Caramel Extract
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
CARAMEL ICING RECIPE
- 8 oz salted butter, softened to room temp I like Kerrygold
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp Watkins Caramel extract
- 2 Tbsp milk add more if needed for a thinner consistency
TO MAKE THE CAKE
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease two round cake pans. I used two 6" circular pans and also made 12 cupcakes.
- In the bowl of your mixer, add all dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- In another bowl, combine sour cream, eggs, water, oil, & flavorings. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Stop after a minute to scrape the sides and bottom of bowl then continue to beat on high for another minute to make sure everything is well combined.
- Pour the batter into prepared pans and bake for 30 minutes.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in middle of cake comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a cooling rack and cool cakes completely before icing. To get even layers, level off the domed tops of the cakes with a large knife and stack them upside down before icing.
TO MAKE THE ICING
- Wash mixing bowl and beaters thoroughly before using them again to remove the raw egg.
- Whip softened butter for at least 1 minute or longer if you want a whiter shade of icing. The longer you whip the butter, the lighter the icing will be (although the caramel extract will tint it beige regardless.)
- Add 1 cup powdered sugar at a time on a low speed. Cover the mixer with a towel to keep cloud of powdered sugar from exploding in your kitchen.
- Once all the sugar is incorporated, turn speed on med-high to mix thoroughly.
- Add milk 1 Tbsp at a time, until you get a frosting consistency that is easy to spread and pipe.
- Make sure to cool cakes completely before icing. To get even layers, level off the domed tops of the cakes with a large knife and stack them upside down before icing.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do! It is truly a divine cake that your guests will go nuts over. I promise!
I used this exact same recipe for my daughter’s Paw Patrol themed bone cake for her 3rd birthday AND her Frozen themed birthday cake for her 4th birthday. Both were a HUGE hit with the guests!
I’m so amazing at what I saw on your blog,was searching for a nice site where I can get wedding cake for my cousin’s wedding. Your wedding cakes looks
attractive and adorable. I will like to you to bake a cake for my cousin’s wedding that is coming up next month.
KIDOCHUKWU EZIESHI says
What a beautiful website … I’m a cake lover and soon as I got to your site I never felt like leaving… A lot was learnt … And I will be here always … before I forget your cake designs are nice